BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Lois lake report

13K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Patches- D 
#1 ·
well it feb, and i figured that with all the guys coming to powell to fish lois it should have a thread of its own . The lake is back up to a nice level , up 12 feet with all this rain and the cutthroat are stacked in all the classic staging spots . large rainbows are cruising the shorelines around creek mouths and the large gravel shoal that are back under water around camp B , lots of rainbows in the 3-6 lb range with a few double digit fish being taken every day . the pens are fishing well as always for those who just want to catch a whack of pellet pigs . some large cutts have been caught in the 27-28 inch range but no thirties that i have seen or herd of yet . its warm as hell out this season and hatches are happening. stickle backs are in schools by the creek mouths so a stickle back or sculpin pattern is hot fished deep and slow , a large moal leach in black and royal blue is one of my go to large leach patterns . electric motor is key for stealth if you want those large cutts . i know there are a few people from pow town on this sit now so lets see some pics of some nice lois fish !:cheers:

Plant Tree Grass Wood Fish

See less See more
#5 ·
Food Fish Marine biology Seafood Salmon-like fish

Khartoum Lake, Saturday. After floating, I warmed up to a young families' fire (gratefully). They were getting ready to cook a trout on the fire so I made sure I saw what the fish were feeding on. Yup small black midges. I had no trouble convincing the cutties to go for a bigger snack. Thus, a decent size zonker. Two nice fish over 20" and lots 12-16". Good day but should have worn heavier socks in my waders. Fished near shore in 16-30'.
Water Liquid Fluid Reptile Grass

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Natural landscape

Bait Fishing bait Fishing lure Feather Wood

Rabbit Strip Zonker/pierced by the hook.
Body- Hare with seal teased out
Throat- red flash
Dumbell eyes
The fly fishes hook up/top lip and less snags in the dead-fall and stumps.
Guess I'll call it Khartoum Zonker. #fliesthatcatchfish Inspired from "Flies that Catch Fish"

#6 ·
Not sure Aargh. Could be environmental, genetic or ??
G-man considers the rainbows "naturalized fish"now since they have been introduced and seem to be spawners.
Recent and future escapees should be triploid.
I'll be watching for this in future and get a closer look and the gills. May have to eat a few.
Take pics and share/pm.

Reactions: arrgh
#8 ·
FYI (2016)
As I read this, and not read anything into it, there is no size limit on hatchery fish. So, yank those clipped rainbows out of the system. It bothers me to see Cutt-bows in the system which tells me that the introduced rainbows are naturalized and breeding with the pure strain cuttys.

Lois Lake- Wild Trout/char daily quota = 2 (none 40 cm or more), hatchery rainbow trout (adipose fin removed with healed scar) = 4,kokanee daily quota = 5; single barbless hook

https://vimeo.com/168648574 Interesting film about how Alberta is recognizing the need to protect natural cutthroat.

Reactions: arrgh
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.