Shopping for a new beach rod
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping for a new beach rod

Caddis
    Thanks

Default Shopping for a new beach rod

Hey everyone, looking to get a different beach rod this year for pinks/coho. I currently have a St. Croix Imperial 10' 7wt. Its a little heavy, the action is a little slower than I am looking for. Its a nice rod, but I am wanting to go a little lighter and a little faster action.

I have wiggled a few rods recently, but haven't test-casted many yet. Not all stores let you test-cast, so, I was hoping to grab a few opinions of any of you who own or have tried some of these rods.

Now, I have I am looking for a 7wt, single hander. I am not into the 2 handers/switch rods as I do use my pontoon off the beach as well in certain areas. I would also like preferably 9 foot 6", I like to wade fish and enjoy a little longer rod, but going all the way to a 10' doesn't seem necessary after owning one for the past 2 seasons. I have toyed with the idea of laying down some serious cabbage on a Sage ONE, Sage Method or Loomis NRX, but I was also very impressed with the feel of a few cheaper (300.00 ish) rods as well:

Greys XF2 - felt fast, light and springy, I have heard good things as well about it being good bang for the buck.
    T.F.O. BVK - I really like the feel of it, has great reviews, any one own one and use it on the beach?
    T.F.O. TiCr X - seemed nice, like the salt water components, a friend has one and likes it a lot.
    Echo 3 Saltwater - has 2 different tips with it (one soft, one faster) kind of neat, came recommended by a friend

Any opinions on these? Any others I should consider and take a look at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

I have a geys x flight( the predecessor to the fx2) in 9ft 5 weight and I love this rod lots of power and accuracy and super fun to play big fish on.

also have a 9ft 6 weight TiCR x with a fighting butt and that thing is a thunder stick, tons of power for bombing streamers. That being Said it doesn't have much finesse and you need to be careful on the hook set or you'll be wondering where the fish went! Don't enjoy fighting fish on it as much as some of my other rods but it is fun to cast.

Thanks

Let us know what you end up with Scott, im thinking also of updating the beach rod but a 6 wt for pinks and keep my 7wt for coho

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Just got a 10' #7 G-Loomis Pro4X and loooove it. It goes up to 11.
    There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. - Patrick F. McManus

Caddis
    Thanks

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. The TiCRx is quite nice, looks like it really fires a line and I definetly want to cast it . I was out and looked at some again, I keep coming back to the BVK over all, it seems to be most similar to the action I am looking for. I am going to test cast some hopefully this week and then make a choice for a new stick, you never know how they feel until you throw a line on them a few times.

Interestingly, I used to use a rio outbound short, and liked it ok, but it wasn't durable and was still a huge work out to cast on my softer imperial. I ended up borrowing a 200 gr snowbee xs switch line from my dad the other night. I tried it on my current st croix imperial 7wt 10', and man does it ever fly! That line shoots like a rocket, I am excited to bring it down and try it on a rod that is a little lighter with a faster action. With a stripping basket I think it will be unreal, the rio always tangled in the running line, drove me bonkers.... This line doesn't seem to tangle, and the nice compact head just bombs out there with minimal effort.

Caddis
    Thanks

@Kuma - I actually picked that one up today and looked at it, and that rod felt nice too, may have to check it out. Loomis stuff always kinda scared me (price wise), but that rod seemed pretty reasonable if I remember correctly. The only other Loomis rod I have seen/heard about is the NRX. It looks great, but way up there in price (with the Sage ONE / Method). Thanks for the reply.
    Last edited by adrock1981; June 19th, 2014 at 11:55 PM.

Thanks

Have you talked to the guys at Nile Scott? You'll be able to test cast anything with the snowbee switch. Ive got the 250 grn snowbee switch on my beulah 7wt but found it a bit heavy. They set me up first with a 300 but it was too heavy for overhead if you were trying to carry say 70' of line. You will find with the snowbee line the front loop will fail very quick so save the pain and cut it off right away to save patching it on the beach. I have the snowbee extreme distance line and its also a bomb, the running line is slick as snot and floats great. Nile also has a sale on the Geo Nano rod right now. Best of luck in your search for a rod. Pretty sure wholesale will let you test cast if you bring your own reel with line

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Tapatalk

Caddis
    Thanks

Its Adam, not Scott, but thats ok.

That is a great idea actually, I haven't checked out the rods they have. I did cast a mystic once that C had on the beach one day, but as far as the snowbee / bulah etc. I haven't looked much. I want to stick to a single hander, but I may have to go up there and check it out.

That is a great point about the loop on that line, I have heard that from a couple people as well, I will probably just cut it off and use the old trusty nail knot.

Thanks

Sorry Adam, horrible with names;-)

Caddis
    Thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Coastrider Click here to enlarge
    Sorry Adam, horrible with names;-)

No problem Ed. Click here to enlarge

13. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements