BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

Deep Cycle Batteries for trolling motor and sounder

10K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  sagerod 
#1 ·
Wondering what a good battery is for an electric trolling motor and a depth sounder setup would be, I want to be able to run all weekend and not have recharge, 2 batteries is also an option but I dont want to but junk or buy the best, if anyone has input on my questions or private message me about a price for one or 2 batteries that would be awesome.
Thank You

#4 · (Edited)
If I use my trolling motor as intended, then I might get a weekend out of the battery. If I use the motor to run up and down the lake at WOT, no. I would suggest that you get 2 batteries and a good charger. I don't have any suggestions as to which batteries to buy, but I'd stay away from Crappy tire and Walmart. I have had lousy luck with CT and some friends have had lousy luck with Walmart. Maybe we got Friday batteries when we wanted Monday ones.

#9 ·
How big is your boat? Is this for trolling, moving from one anchored spot to another, all your motoring for a weekend. What finder and does it have its own power supply? The costco batteries are pretty reliable.

#10 ·
Don't want to hi-jack this thread but I have similar questions. One additional question I had was is there a big difference between batteries advertised as "starting" batteries? When I research online a lot marine batteries say they are starting batteries. Are there running batteries as well?

#11 ·
There are batteries that are specifically for cranking your outboard motor to start. In starting my 150 hp engine I switch to my cranking/starting battery. They after it is running I switch to my Deep Cycle Battery and my main engine charges it up as I am using it for my electronics; Sounder, electric down riggers, lights etc.
For running electronics or an electric motor you need a Deep Cycle battery. Interstate or Kirkland Deep Cycle batteries in the 12 volt size are your best usage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.