Fly Fishing, Fly Tying & Spey Casting Forum - Hatch Guide For Lakes - Chauchey
  • Hatch Guide For Lakes

Hatch Guide For Lakes: Naturals and Their Imitations for Stillwater Trout Fishing
    Author: Jim Schollmeyer
    Photos: Color
    Pages: 160
    Size: Pocket sized
    ISBN: 1-57188-324-X
    Publisher: Frank Amato Publications, Inc.

The Review: When I first bought my 5wt. fly rod with the expectation of 'trying out' the sport, the guy selling me my rod setup said "Hey, get this too..." and being the easy sell that I am, I bought it. Which now gives me the chance to do a Review and win some flies. Which I'm more than happy to do!

The book is split up into a number of helpful sections. The first 2 chapters deal with Lake Biology and Tackle and Techniques. Very helpful overview, or introduction for new fly fishers. Not particularly in depth, but then again thats not what this book was designed for. What this book was designed for was...looking at bugs!! Lots of them!

Jim deals with all the major orders of bugs, and the most commonly found families of that particular order of insect(eg: Caddisfly ->Northern Casemaker, Giant Casemaker, Longhorned Casemaker). Jim also shows each stage of development for each insect order-family as well(eg: Larva, pupa, adult). This means that there are alot of pictures of bugs. Couple that with in depth descriptions of each stage of each bug, with the following page giving a picture of 3 possible immitations, their names, sizes, times of year to be fished/found, line type used, along with retrieves...and this book quickly seperates itself from the rest. For a pocket sized book, it contains a simply astounding amount of information on bugs and their possible immitations.

This book deals with Mayflies, Caddisflies, Midges, Dragons, Damsels, Boatmen, Water Beatles, Alderflies, Crustations, Leeches, Scuds, Foragefish, and Terrestrials such as Grasshoppers, Beatles, and Ants, and all the relevant forms of these insects that trout feed on. Fly recipies are found at the back of the book for all the flies listed.

Verdict: A small book jam packed full of relevant information for people who need to know 'what the heck's that bug!?' and how to fish it in a hurry, and later, how to tie various, effective immitations. This is the book that goes with me to every single lake I go to, and comes with me in the boat/tube.

Who should buy this book: New tiers, and fly fishers who want to know more about the bugs they are looking at, as well as what types of bugs you can expect to find during specific months of the year. For that matter anyone who is sick and tired of being sold flies that don't work!

Chauchey