Fly Fishing, Fly Tying & Spey Casting Forum - The New North American Trout Fishing - professori
  • The New North American Trout Fishing

The New North American Trout Fishing

By John Merwin
    Hardcover: 340 pages
    Publisher: Book Sales (March 2000)
    Language: English
    ISBN 0-7858-1192-3

I was browsing through Chapters bargain bins a few years back, when I spotted the hardcover version of his book priced at $4.99. It was originally priced at $37.00, so I figured I couldn’t go wrong. “Couldn’t go wrong”? Actually couldn’t go much better. This book is a wonderful mix of historical information about the early genesis of fly angling in North America (almost exclusively US North America) and it’s practitioners, and modern fishing and techniques as they exist today.
    The volume is broken into 5 major sections: The Quarry, The Tools, The Puzzle, The Game, Special Situations, each of which are further broken into subsections. For example the first section (The Quarry) is comprised of: The Nature of Trout Streams, The Nature of Trout, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Cutthroat Trout, Selective Trout. There is so much information contained in each category that once I started reading a new one, I had to continue to the end of the section for fear of missing something.
    Merwin’s style shifts easily between casual story-teller and informative lecturer. He intersperses the detailed description of various fish, techniques and situations with personal stories of his experiences illustrating the point he is currently attempting to make.
    If your ultimate angling experience is targeting trout, in their many forms, in rivers and streams, then I recommend this volume in the strongest possible fashion. I am currently on my third read though of his magnificent reference, and finding more information yet again. It is available through Amazon.com for as little as $13 US, including shipping, which is a bargain.

professori