2. Book Reviews
    Article Preview

The Gilly’ A flyfisher’s guide
    Compiled and edited by Alfred G. Davy
    Copyright 1985
    Frank Amato Publications
    ISBN: 0-99925-638-1
    21 chapters, 184 pages.

If one were to judge a book by its cover, this one is a beauty. Hatheume Lake at sunrise greets me every time I pick up this book, and I’ve been picking it up for nearly two decades now. This is a ...
     Number of Views: 4591 
    1. Categories:
    2. Book Reviews
    Article Preview

Fly Fish the Trout Lakes: with Jack Shaw

Author: Jack Shaw
    Publisher: Heritage House
    ISBN: 0-919214-59-2
    # of Pages: 94

About the book: This book is written by, from what I understand, to be the father of chironomid fishing. That alone warrants a look see, but its a pretty good book for a beginner to be reading as well. The book was written in the mid-late 80's, and with that comes some dated information, ...
     Number of Views: 3424 
    1. Categories:
    2. Book Reviews

Totem Topics -25th Anniversary Edition

Compiled and edited by Ron Grantham
    Published by Totem Fly fishers
    151 pps.
    Hard bound

As a member of the Totems this book holds a special place for me. Here in one volume we have the combined knowledge of many of the finest fly fishers B.C. has ever produced. Starting in 1968 and continuing through 1992,we can follow the exploits and follies of B.C.'s first official fly fishing ...
     Number of Views: 1721 
    1. Categories:
    2. Book Reviews
    Article Preview

The New North American Trout Fishing

By John Merwin
    Hardcover: 340 pages
    Publisher: Book Sales (March 2000)
    Language: English
    ISBN 0-7858-1192-3

I was browsing through Chapters bargain bins a few years back, when I spotted the hardcover version of his book priced at $4.99. It was originally priced at $37.00, so I figured I couldn’t go wrong. “Couldn’t go wrong”? Actually couldn’t go much better. This book is a wonderful mix of historical information about the early genesis of fly angling in North America (almost exclusively US ...
     Number of Views: 1519 
    1. Categories:
    2. Book Reviews
    Article Preview

The Freshwater Fishes of British Columbia
    J.D. McPhail
    approx 600 pages
    ISBN 978-0-88864-467-1

I recently bought this book as a reference book for work. It gives information on all freshwater fishes in BC - native and introduced. Most books from BC are focused strongly on salmonids. The author, J.D. McPhail has been studying all species of fish, not just salmonids, his whole life and is probably the leading expert on the topic in BC. It covers equally the salmonids as it does the life history of the minnows or suckers. Believe me, these little guys can be far more interesting than ...
     Number of Views: 2462 
    1. Categories:
    2. Book Reviews
    Article Preview

“The Essential Fly Tier”

By J. Edson Leonard
    Illustrations by the Author
    Published 1976
    Prentice Hall Inc.
    ISBN 0-13-286112-7
    262 pages

I picked this book up recently from a second hand book store. This edition is a soft cover reissue of a hard cover earlier version. As mentioned it is both written and illustrated by the author. J. ...
     Number of Views: 3171 
    1. Categories:
    2. Book Reviews
    Article Preview

The West Coast Fly Fisher
    Authors: Brian Chan, Kelly Davison, Art Lingren, Harry Penner, Barry M. Thornton

Compiled by: Mark Pendlington
    ISBN for softcover: 0-88839-440-3
    ISBN for hardcover: 0-88839-448-9
    Pages: 152
    Photographs: color!

Review: Here is a book that gives you a basic overview of every single type of fly fishing that can be found on the west coast. An incredibly handy book, it utilizes the best experts from our province ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast