sunshine coast cutthroat lakes

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: sunshine coast cutthroat lakes

Thanks

Default sunshine coast cutthroat lakes

Well , as summer comes to a end ,and fall sets in , leaving the salt water and getting the gear ready for lake fishing is on the top of the list. not to say I will not head over to the big island for one or two trips into my favorite canyons for some summer runs , but the large cutthroat are coming into the shallows and the rainbows are fattening up for winter,the kokanee are filling the stream mouths . This means short cold days , lots of rain, and in turn , high waters . and big fish are both coming . The hot long days that push fish into the depths are gone .The recreational boater, water-skiing , tubing, campers and swimmers have headed back to work and school. When you see someone on the lake over the next few months....you know..ya, its cold and wet....you know for sure, they have the same fever you do , the same passion ,drive and addiction that you do. The fever that you get as you think of a posibul 30 inch cutthroat that could be any moment. You dream of the lunkers you know are right here , off that stump, or off this point, at this creek mouth or outlet . you know because you have released many large fish here, and will again and again as you return every season to seek that large fish that has eluded you, or got the better side of the fight in the season past. You will find yourself spending these cold, short days alone ,and some days amongst your fellow anglers that also seem to know the secrets of this body of water, your not alone in the addiction of untangling the seasonal migrations and feeding habits of your prey, and there habitat.

Its your favored cutthroat lake ...its our over 200 cutthroat lakes that are spotted amongst the coast mountains, and at there foothills before the landscape slides into the Salish sea . Its the sunshine coast and its my back yard . its mostly wild ,rainbows, cutthroat and kokanee , some of the largest, if not the largest cutthroat come from the Powell lake system and surrounding 4 watersheds. The lower coast offers triploid cutthoat opportunities ,and the inlets offer fly or hike in lakes ,and some of the best sea run cutthroat , saltwater fishing I have had the pleasure of taking part in .

I start this thread to keep updated the report a well as hoping to attract some input from other locals on the coast. pics , vids and updates of your trips and outings . put those bobbers away and pull out some big leach, sticklebacks and kokanee patterns . its time for big cutthroat , the kokanee have started there spawning migration and in turn kicks off the 2013 cutthroat season ...... good luck .

Patches~D
    I am into hidden gold and silver

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to patches For This Useful Post:

Burban (September 13th, 2013),Coastrider (September 30th, 2013),Maverick (September 14th, 2013),Richard in Nanaimo (September 13th, 2013),Royal_Coachman (September 30th, 2013),steebo3 (October 1st, 2013)

Mayfly
    Thanks

I am going to take may 3 boys out tomorrow to one of those water sheds. I've had some good success in it around early October. Its going to be weather permitting as they aren't as die hard as dad yet. The forecast doesn't look good. If the wife wasn't working I would be able to go rain or shine (caught a lot of nice cutties in lousy weather).
    I'll try and post a report after.

I'll pm you if there is any top secret info Patches, although you'd probably recognize any pictures if I take some.

Thanks

Cool thread Patches. I'm headed over to VIU on the island for 6 weeks starting next Thursday or else Id go out and hunt some cutty pics to contribute to your thread. Ill dig up some scenic shots of the Sechelt/Garden Bay area cutthroat lakes and throw them up though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    FlyFishBC.com
    Advertisements

Thanks

Good Idea on the thread Patches! Ill be hitt'n some of our larger local lakes real soon, just got to wait for the temps to cool down and hopefully all the rain we get this week will help. Ill post some pics/vids for sure, just got a new gopro so youll likely see some footage with that. hopefully get into some nice Big searuns like last fall.
    Could even post some pics of some of the big intruder/leach patterns if you guys are interested?
    The best way to a fishermans heart is through his fly.

Mayfly
    Thanks

Here's a teaser from last December. A friend of mine and one of the fish he caught. Not the biggest cutty I've caught at that lake but still a good fish. We each caught a couple like this on that outing.

Here's a shot of my pontoon at the shore when we were pulling out, definitely have to dress warm. But the rewards can be worth it.

Looking forward to cutty season.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to count For This Useful Post:

patches (November 7th, 2013)

Thanks

Hey guys,

I'm brand new on here. I live in halfmoon Bay, quite close to trout lake but I havent fished in it before. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had any success there in the fall. And if so what type of flies would you suggest using? Basically any suggestions about fishing anywhere around the coast would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Thanks

Ha!I am on my way to trout lake right now. Shoot me a pm and maybe we will hit it up tomorrow together!

Thanks

Ended up at wormy lake and the road is pretty washed out. The wind died down just as I showed up and did some casting from the wharf. Great evening.

Thanks

Ive found that the small lake cutties love a green/olive leech with lots of flash, don't skimp on the flash. Tie flash right in with the body. Trout, Wormy, Carlson, Richardson - all the little cutties love em, good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Burban For This Useful Post:

Sunshinecoastflyfishing (September 30th, 2013)

Thanks

well,, glad to see I am not the only cutty addict . as far as trout lake, its stocked with trout seasonally ,I see it has gotten a lot more pressure over the past few years as the lower coast population has grown . I only fish lakes on the upper coast where I live but I do know that hotel and ruby have big fish and are also stocked with triploid cutthroat. if your on any of the larger lakes down there or if you know that kokanee are in the lake your targeting , then at this time the kokanee are your best bet , find stream mouths and fish large burgundy woolly buggers, and dark minnow patters. I used to fish wormy, carlson, trout, ruby, hotel, but don't have the time any more.

Up here the lakes are going off , full on kokanee runs , big rainbows and lots of cutts, I will take some pics today while I am up in the back country. One tip I can offer is the lack of success I have had before, and on a full moon . I do believe that cutthroats, being a opportunist and ambush predators, feed heavily through this lunar phase. The sea run cutthroat is affected by the tides its whole life, but the large lake cutty , I believe feeds on the moon from under the large schools of kokanee that come to the surface as night sets in, they stay in the top water column till the sun returns the in the eastern sky. At this point, they ball up for protection and head back to the depths to find that day time water column that offers the right temperature. You can see kokanee feeding before dark on almost every lake here . schools first appear as a bait ball ,like that of a herring ball in the sea , and as the safe cover of night falls over the water ,they spread out and thin across the surface of the lake to feed . This is called the witching hr ,like spring trolling in the ocean ,you can hit some of the biggest fish and best bites fishing well into the dark as large cutthroat take advantage of the fish above and the full moon giving away there location.
    The kokanee run offers a time when trophy cutthroat come into shallow water , and in some cases the cuts fallow the kokanee through the spawning streams to a different lake or into spawning grounds, slues, or river where they themselves will spawn as early as oct if conditions are right. The cutthroat will stay on shoals and at river mouths till spring bring higher lake temps, forcing them into the depth after they spawn .
    I hope this helps you in your endeavors ... I am going fishing now .... I will post some shots soon .............
    I am into hidden gold and silver

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to patches For This Useful Post:

Burban (September 30th, 2013),Richard in Nanaimo (September 30th, 2013),Royal_Coachman (September 30th, 2013),steebo3 (October 1st, 2013),Sunshinecoastflyfishing (September 30th, 2013)

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information