BC Fly Fishing Forums banner

skagit shooting heads what do you like

5K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  crspeyer 
#1 ·
on sunday i lost my shooting head in the river. i won't get into the dumb thing i did in order to lose it, but i was dead tired after 6 hrs of fishing.

so i'm off to the fly shop on payday to replace and maybe get an extra skagit line. i was using a rio 575grain 25ft long on my 14ft, 9wt hardy marksmen 2 spey rod.

does anyone have any comments about airflow or S.A. lines

#4 ·
Yeah I lassoed a log across the chehalis once...thought it was a goner but made a heroic (stupid) crossing and got'er back. Then, on the way back with my rod still together but not stringed up, I lost two sections off the end of the rod...I thought, "good luck finding green rod sections in spring!" Lucky enough, I was able to find them....what an awesome day. Needless to say, no steelhead. haha

#7 ·
I so hear you! One place I really like to fish well below Grants Pass (Oregon) on the Rogue River has this large rock smack in the middle of the river. Fish tend to hold a short way up stream from this. Same trip, hook two hot fish that shot across the river and down ...... line under the damned rock and no way to get it back. Load spare reel on rod and .......... REPEAT! Two lines 'toast' in 15 minutes.

#6 ·
Guess I'm lucky with the two RIO Skagit Flight SHD that I've purchased. The one is a 450 gr. that is on it's fourth season and a 575 gr. which is on it's third season. I fish both these lines a lot, from in October until the end of April and fish around 15 plus days a month. These lines have been fished hard and have stood up fantastically as there is hardly a blemish on either of them and they have been hung up and pulled on about every obstacle possible (even the odd steelhead) and not a sign of any cracking or stretching. The older line has lost a bit of it's luster as the colour is a bit faded and that's it. When the season ends I take both lines and clean them and dress them, put them back on their spool and back into the box and store them in the dark. I'll be purchasing RIO Flights in the future that's for sure as I can't ask more of a fly line that's fished this hard. It's obvious every ones millage will vary but for me they are great product. Take Care!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.