skagit shooting heads what do you like

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: skagit shooting heads what do you like

Thanks

Default skagit shooting heads what do you like

on sunday i lost my shooting head in the river. i won't get into the dumb thing i did in order to lose it, but i was dead tired after 6 hrs of fishing.

so i'm off to the fly shop on payday to replace and maybe get an extra skagit line. i was using a rio 575grain 25ft long on my 14ft, 9wt hardy marksmen 2 spey rod.

does anyone have any comments about airflow or S.A. lines

Thanks

Love the airflo compact and my cnd flies. However ive got a rio flight and dont really care much for it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coastrider For This Useful Post:

bearmatt (October 23rd, 2012)

Caddis
    Thanks

another vote for Airflo. I like that airflo lines are made with Poly Urethane.
    Rio and SA use PVC and it cracks after awhile.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wonderfulremark For This Useful Post:

bearmatt (October 23rd, 2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bearmatt View Post
    on sunday i lost my shooting head in the river. i won't get into the dumb thing i did in order to lose it, but i was dead tired after 6 hrs of fishing.

so i'm off to the fly shop on payday to replace and maybe get an extra skagit line. i was using a rio 575grain 25ft long on my 14ft, 9wt hardy marksmen 2 spey rod.

does anyone have any comments about airflow or S.A. lines
    Yeah I lassoed a log across the chehalis once...thought it was a goner but made a heroic (stupid) crossing and got'er back. Then, on the way back with my rod still together but not stringed up, I lost two sections off the end of the rod...I thought, "good luck finding green rod sections in spring!" Lucky enough, I was able to find them....what an awesome day. Needless to say, no steelhead. haha

Thanks

Man, love them stories. It makes me realize im not alone. Ive had some nasty days of smashing and losing gear/stepping on rods

Chironomid
    Thanks

Guess I'm lucky with the two RIO Skagit Flight SHD that I've purchased. The one is a 450 gr. that is on it's fourth season and a 575 gr. which is on it's third season. I fish both these lines a lot, from in October until the end of April and fish around 15 plus days a month. These lines have been fished hard and have stood up fantastically as there is hardly a blemish on either of them and they have been hung up and pulled on about every obstacle possible (even the odd steelhead) and not a sign of any cracking or stretching. The older line has lost a bit of it's luster as the colour is a bit faded and that's it. When the season ends I take both lines and clean them and dress them, put them back on their spool and back into the box and store them in the dark. I'll be purchasing RIO Flights in the future that's for sure as I can't ask more of a fly line that's fished this hard. It's obvious every ones millage will vary but for me they are great product. Take Care!

Caddis
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coastrider View Post
    Man, love them stories. It makes me realize im not alone. Ive had some nasty days of smashing and losing gear/stepping on rods
    I so hear you! One place I really like to fish well below Grants Pass (Oregon) on the Rogue River has this large rock smack in the middle of the river. Fish tend to hold a short way up stream from this. Same trip, hook two hot fish that shot across the river and down ...... line under the damned rock and no way to get it back. Load spare reel on rod and .......... REPEAT! Two lines 'toast' in 15 minutes.

Chironomid
    Thanks

I like the Airflo skagit compact over RIO flight. Airflo is a bit clunkier but does deliver winter stuff with great authority

Leech
    Thanks

Thumbs up to the Airflo compact Skagit. I've been using a 390 grain with my 7wt Meiser rod switch for several months and love it.

Thanks

I may be a bit late to this topic but have been using the SA extreme skagit heads for a while now and been very happy with them, both for performance and durability.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hugh s For This Useful Post:

flytech (November 24th, 2012)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information