Meiser Switch Rods - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meiser Switch Rods

Salmonfly
    Thanks

Well, I agree, landing big fish on light rods is not smart, or nice to the fish, but it's possible. Here I am with a 10' 5/6 wt Snowbee Diamond, Snowbee XS460 reel and a 6wt line. Used 10lb fluro. The rod is quite stiff, and it throws a 7wt line better than a 5wt for me, but any way...

Now I likely won't do this again, but as you can see in the back ground, there was nearly no flow in the pool, so the fish didn't have much current to use against me. Certainly an 8wt rod would be much more appropriate.

Thanks

How do you guys find single-handing a switch? Does the extra weight of the rod have you even bother with that? Do you primarily fish two-handed?
    I'm thinking of picking up a 5/6 switch for swinging streamers for bulls and for the chance at a summer steel trip, pinks etc.

For say, a beulah plantium 6wt switch, do you think an 8 wt rio versitip system would be ample for single-handed applications?

Thanks

Hi Bronjuan..
    The length of the rod doesn't necessadily make casting it single handed difficult...typically you might consider the rated weight and stiffness as the determining factor,also the abilities of the caster...and surprisingly the physical weight of the fly line being used. Think about the rod as an extension of our forearm connected to our joints and ligaments...a good rule of thump is a 4,5,6,0r 7 weight Switch rod can be easily cast with single hand use...that might change with a Surf rod or super fast Salt Water Switch rods,and also some of the poorly made blanks that feel like hollow rod tubes!
    The Beulah rod you are speaking of is 10'4" in length and very light in hand,easily cast with One or Two hands,and designed for just that. The #6 Platinum Switch is just enough rod for what you are speaking of...although I would say the Beulah Classic 5/6 Switch would be pushing the boundary with Coho and Summer Run Steelhead.
    Now the lines are something else...the #8 Versatip (210 grain approx) ok but not ideal. If that is what you have then use it...but the #6 Switch rod recommended line grain weights from 300 to 350...for over head casting a lighter line can certainly be used but more in teh 250 grain window.
    This is a nice little rod for just what you are thinking
    C

ght of the rod have you even bother with that? Do you primarily fish two-handed?
    I'm thinking of picking up a 5/6 switch for swinging streamers for bulls and for the chance at a summer steel trip, pinks etc.

For say, a beulah plantium 6wt switch, do you think an 8 wt rio versitip system would be ample for single-handed applications?[/QUOTE]

Speychucker

I've single handed my 4/5 Meiser switch a couple times, not to big of a deal as far weight goes, but it sure launches the line out there. Most of the time I'm using two hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by bronjuan View Post
    How do you guys find single-handing a switch? Does the extra weight of the rod have you even bother with that? Do you primarily fish two-handed?

For say, a beulah plantium 6wt switch, do you think an 8 wt rio versitip system would be ample for single-handed applications?

Chironomid
    Thanks

I've a Beulah 10' #5 that handles an Airflo Multi-tip #7 really well - both overhead and 'spey' style casts.
    Easily puts out 80' - 90' overhead - and I mean easy!!!!
    Single hand with a haul will do the 80', but with 2 hands its easy!!!
    Did I mention that 2-handed its easy!!!
    May the fish make you smile!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information