Your "Go To" Fly For Cutties Off The Beach?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your "Go To" Fly For Cutties Off The Beach?

Chironomid
    Thanks

Question Your "Go To" Fly For Cutties Off The Beach?

Just curious what fly you have the most confidence in throwing to sea-run cutties from the beach? Is it a fly that when nothing else works for ya you'll go to time and time again? Do you tie this pattern in different sizes, colours, and materials for different locations, food availabilty, seasons, and tides? What about presentation: fast or slow?; lines: floating, sink tips, full sink, shooting heads? Environmental conditions: depths, current, weather patterns, water conditions, bottom composition, etc.?

Too many questions? I tend to get carried away some times.

Look forward to your responses.

Inactive
    Thanks

A unique way to get the info you're looking for, lol.

beadhead rolled muddler done with silver braid instead of tinsel.
    Fly fishing is not only a method to catch fish, but a state of mind.

Chironomid
    Thanks

^^^I admit, a little ridiculous.(lol) I believe that small details can make the difference between catching fish or not catching fish.

For me, the rolled muddler in gold tinsel out fishes the silver.

When I walk up to beach I'll wait about 10 minutes to see if any fish show themselves. If not, I'll throw out the Miyawaki popper, a searching pattern. If there is fish present they'll show themselves by either hitting the popper, swirling behind it to get a closer look and smell, and out of curiosity. Sadly this pattern has a very low hook-up ratio.

I then will switch to a wet fly.

This is my go-to pattern:
    Hook: #8-#12; 2x-4x long
    Thread: 6/0 or 8/0 in white or grey
    Body: Pearl Tinsel
    Rib: Small silver wire counter wound
    Wing: mallard flank; natural, though I do use olive, wooduck, grey, kingfisher blue, highlander green
    Eyes: 1.5mm pearl for only size 8

This pattern is actually a cross-over for bait fish (stickleback, Chum&Pink fry, etc.) and krill (euphausiids).

In the locations I fish in the winter there is very little bait fish available though there is crusteceans(krill and amphipods) present. Immature krill are about a 1/2" long and are a translucent pearl with a speckled back. I'll use the smaller sizes to "match the hatch" and fish it on a floating line, dead drifting the current of the tide. However I use different patterns for the amphipods, similar to a scud pattern in darker colours(olive, brown, and black) on a scud style hook.

In the winter when the cutties are feeding on these crusteceans they can be very selective and the take is very light.

In different locations the bottom composition can very from sand, cobblestone, marl and mud. I've found that matching the wing colour to the bottom can make a difference as the bait fish will take on the colour of thier surrondings and of course the colour of the available bait fish. I'll fish the bait fish version with very fast 6" strips mostly on the Monic clear floater though I'll use a clear intermediate full sink when there is rough water conditions and deeper locations and the current speed of the tide.

If the water is muddy after a fairly strong wind I'll turn around and go home. I'm not too particular on the tides as long as the tide is running and I have low light conditions. I've found that once the sun reaches a certain hieght the fish will move out into deeper water and take cover.

A great pattern that works well for me all year around.

250px-Meganyctiphanes_norvegica2.jpg220px-Gammarus_roeselii.jpg
    Euphausiid Amphipod

Chironomid
    Thanks

gave the dressing in previouse thread. Bloody nose

size 4-8
    thread pink
    body gold
    hackle yellow
    rabbit strip tied zonker style, whit
    This year i tied it with olive strip, pretty long, two and a half to three inches, and with a sparse scarlet throat 0nt op of the hackle

this variation seemed to outproduce the white, but they both work very well for me

In fresh water, i use a black reverse spider almost exclusivly, so out of curiosity last year i tied up some on stainless hooks in black and olive, and they worked very well in salt as well, but i haven't used them much since, but only cuase in the salt i already have my favorite patterns
    there's no head like steal head

Chironomid
    Thanks

Default Pearl Mickey

Just a Mickey Finn with pearl mylar tinsel body, instead of the traditional silver, counterwrapped (as with all my tinsel patterns) with fine silver wire. And a few sprigs of pearl Flashabou inside the wing.

I usually fish this with a floating line and plain leader, or if it's deep enough, a poly clear intermediate leader. (I tried a Monic clear floater, but cannot for the life of me get the coils out of it. Gonna try a blow dryer on it, while it's stretched out.) I use a Cortland Clear Camo line, for deep areas, or if there's a lot of junk floating on the surface. Generally, I use a lazy, day dreaming type retrieve! I really should put more effort into the details of sea run cutthroat fishing, like Chumley does, but cutt fishing for me is more relaxation therapy, than beach salmon fishing is. Salmon fishing is intense, serious business, man!

That's a nice, simple pattern, by the way, Chumley. Should be good for coho, too, I would think. Great invertebrate photos, too. I made a new euphausiid pattern, that I have yet to try. I think it needs most of that red wing pulled out, to leave just a thin line over the body:

My other main cutt pattern is the time-tested Rolled Muddler, original dressing.
    Last edited by Birdbrain; October 1st, 2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling error

Thanks

gold bead head rolled muddler with nat. colored deer hair long, skinny, sparse sometimes mid olive or white deer hair with a matching mallard flank wing, I've never found a better all round fly in fresh or salt water, and I concur...gold has been more productive than silver
    and as alternates white and red bucktail, miyawiki beach popper, small sparse clousers, I have hundreds of patterns but I usually tie one of these 4 on
    Len
    cutthroat or bust

Chironomid
    Thanks

Great patterns guys

Rolled muddlers are in my top five patterns. I don't like tying them though.

Mickey Finn I'll throw from time to time. I have had success with the Pearl Mickey on Coho one year. There was a similar pattern developed for Coho off the beach which I think was created by some guy in the fly club in Courtney about 8 years ago. It had a wing of pink, yellow, pink. I actually hooked a couple of Coho on it in front of Royston and at Ship's Point.

Nice euphaussid pattern Birdbrain. Ya, I think I would sparse out the wing as well.

In regards to the clear floater you used, was it the Cortland? Those lines are brutal. I've been using the Monic all-weather clear floater for years.Casts nice and very low memory. Highly recommended.

You're bang on about the two different types of beach fishing. It's the crowds that intensify the experience. Last year at Nile fishing for the Pinks this guy got upset because he thought I casted too close to his line. It looked bad as I think it came out sideways as he wasn't hooking any fish and I told him so.

I can fish shoulder to shoulder but it depends on the experience of the angler. On numerous occasions if the fish are schooled up tightly and you need to cast on a bit of angle if you're on the periphery to get the fly in front of the fish, experienced fly guys don't have a problem with it. Again it depends on the type of line you and the other angler are using. For example, if the angler beside you is using a full sink you can cast over his line after a bit of time to let his line get down a bit, then throw your line over his with either a floater or a full sink at the same i.p.s. However, two floatings line casted over each other wouldn't work as well as a full sink over a floater. I always ask first if I can do this. Hope that makes sence

I always try and help out other anglers especially beginners and senior citizens as I'll give my knowledge, flies and at times I've stepped out so another person can have a crack at the fish. I must admit I have a hard time with the "elitest".

Chironomid
    Thanks

No, it wasn't the infamous Cortland 555! I made a typo; I should have written "Monic" clear floating line. I guess I just got a bad one. It's retained its coils, no matter what I do to it. The manufacturer's advice is to stretch out the length of line that you will cast, before using. That hasn't work, and neither has stretching short lengths, which works on all the clear intermediate lines I've used. I just pulled it out of its dusty box, and emailed Monic. They suggested I heat it with a hair dryer, while it's stretched out, and leave it stretched until it cools. Hope that works, because it's off warranty. Monic will also do a heat treatment and a dressing, no charge, if I pay for shipping both ways. I'll try the home cure first.

Speaking of muddlers, a lead-wire-weighted, extremely sparse Rolled Muddler, with a very chunky gold braid body, has been a good freshwater coho pattern for me. Bigger sizes than in the chuck, though; #4 or larger. I mean sparse.....no mallard, and no more than a dozen deer hairs for a wing.

Chironomid
    Thanks

i used to get all caught up in fly selection, and spend hours at the bench and hit the beach with a box packed to overflow with flies, but then only use a handfull. So the last couple years I really have only used a handfull of flies. The bloody nose i spoke of, I;m also a big fan of the rolled mudler, but mine are usually gold with a olive maribou wing, mickey finns, or silver browns. I still switch it up and spend some time at the bench though, but mostly out of curiousity. I like to see how ridicuouse of a fly ito four can tie, and see if the cuts will take it., usually they will. A couple of years ago I tied up a bunch of great big rabbit strip tube flies about three inches long. Cutts loved it, but slashed at so aggresivly but inacuratly i rarley hooked up. This year I tied up a bunch of big yellow and black foam dry flys with rubber legs and spun dear hair head and wing on #8 low water hooks. It did pretty well the one time i used it. I think I could do almost as well with a half dozen flies as I could with 60 flies, but that takes away some of the fun
    there's no head like steal head

Thanks

Attachment 1674Attachment 1673Attachment 1672
    I have to say that my cuttie box always has a Bead Head Rolled Muddler in natural and for the dry I really like a parachute California Blonde or a Parachuted Stimulator in sizes up to #6..and then there is always the reliable Pearl Mickey or a Green and White Polar Bear Minnow pattern tied on a size 8 34007 SS mustad hook.
    Here is a picture of a great Cathy's Coat tied with Polar Bear and wiskers of Krystal flash fibres.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information